Kansas Deaf-Blind Equipment Distribution Project
Kansans with a combined hearing and vision loss can receive telecommunication tools and the training to use them. Who can benefit from advanced telecommunications access? Here are some examples:
- A college graduate who is deaf-blind and wants to use CareerBuilder.com to search for a job;
- A young girl with combined hearing and vision loss who wants to use Skype to connect via sign language with her grandmother;
- A man who has lost sight and hearing as a result of aging and wants to email and Facebook to reconnect with friends and family.
Any individual who meets the definition of deaf-blindness in the HKNC Act and has an income that does not exceed 400% of the federal poverty level can qualify to receive advanced communications and information services equipment.
Verification of disability
- Have a central visual acuity of 20/200 or less in the better eye with corrective lenses, or a visual field defect such that the peripheral diameter of visual field subtends an angular distance no greater than 20 degrees, or a progressive visual loss having a prognosis leading to one or both of these conditions;
- Have a chronic hearing impairment so severe that most speech cannot be understood with optimum amplification, or a progressive hearing loss having a prognosis leading to this condition; and
- Have the combination of impairments described in 1 and 2 above cause extreme difficulty in attaining independence in daily life activities, achieving psychosocial adjustment, or obtaining a vocation.
Interested individuals, family members or service providers may obtain further information by calling your regional AT Access site at 800 KAN-DO-IT (800-526-3648). Or email ATK at firstname.lastname@example.org
A PDF is a file format which allows a file to viewed and printed from any computer regardless of platform, applications or fonts available. So you can download any of the pdfs listed above and view them on your computer and / or print them out. To do this, you must download a free copy of Adobe Acrobat and install it on your computer.